Monday, January 19, 2009

Weekend, camping concerns, money woes, etc.

Well, I guess I'll start with the food. Friday night was a tofu scramble (heavy on the sweet potato, light on the tofu) and steamed broccoli. That's it below. Then on Saturday, we ended up going to Boise. I had the leftover tofu scramble and coffee for breakfast. A half nectarine and some pumpkin seeds on the way up. A salad (no cheese, no croutons) with vinaigrette and sweet potato fries for lunch (did the best I could at the restaurant). An apple and Almond butter/jelly sandwich for snack, and a Subway veggie delite sandwich for dinner. Late, when we got home, I had some Almond yogurt (from Ani's Raw Kitchen).
.
Sunday, I had oatmeal and coffee for breakfast. A zucchini salad with Tahini vinaigrette (home made) and a Seitan, veganaise, on whole wheat sandwich. I had ww tortilla and tangelo for a snack. Had teriyaki stir fried veggies and teriyaki tofu for dinner. Had almond yogurt and pumpkin bread for a snack.
.
Today I've had coffee and oatmeal for breakfast ,and zucchini salad and almond butter/jelly on ww tortilla for lunch.
.
Whew. Looking back, I did more snacking that usual. I need to start watching that better. Or make sure I truly am hungry when I snack. I have a habit of snacking out of boredom or habit--not good.
.
So anyway, we went to Boise on Saturday. Kids needed pants and we wanted to go ice-skating. Ice Skating was a blast! I have to say, though that it's a good thing my daughter doesn't skate very good because it gives me an excuse to hug the wall too--I have to stay close to help her, don't you know.
.
When we went to the Boise mall to get clothes for the kids, I was amazed at the state of the stores. We saw discounts of up to 90% off. And stores that usually don't show much in the way of recession signs, were a lot emptier than usual. Then, yesterday, we went to the mall here, I saw the same thing. It's getting a little scary. (Although at one store that was going out of business, I got two pair of jeans--one cost $3.30, the other $3.50.)
.
Son is going camping this weekend with scouts. I'm really a bit uptight about it. It's going to be in the teens, temperature wise and it's just 12 and 13 year-old boys and the scout leaders. We ended up shelling out $80 bucks to get son a good sleeping bag and mat to try to avoid hypothermia. What do kids do that can't afford to do that? (We couldn't afford to do that, but did it anyway.) I think I'll call the scout leader's wife and ask her if she would let her son go if his dad wasn't going to be there with him.
.
I have to take the big puppies in for shots this afternoon. Another thing that has to be done that we can't afford.
.
I keep telling myself that we will get through all of this.
.
Well, I had better get back to work, I actually have quite a bit to get accomplished this afternoon.
Ciao for now.

No comments: