Thursday, January 22, 2009

Beans and Rice

Just real quick here--I was looking at CCV's blog and saw her pasta and decided I'd do pasta for dinner. So I figured I go put on the beans and rice (one of the advantages to working from home) and I'd have them for lunch. Well, they came out so good that we are having beans and rice for dinner. Here's my recipe: Beans and Rice (6 good size servings)
.
2 and 1/2 cups water
1 cup brown rice
1 can of beans of your choice-liquid and all (choose a firm sort like kidneys)
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1/4 cup dried onion pieces
1 teaspoon chili powder
salt to taste
.
add all of the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. reduce the heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes (until the rice is done and it is as soupy or dry as you want it).
.
Note--I use the liquid off the canned beans and then less salt. If you drain and rinse your beans you will need to increase the amount of water you use and the amount of salt. Also, I had a tiny bit of tomato sauce in the fridge (like less than a quarter of one of those little bitty cans) so I just poured that in, too.
.
Well, I'm off again.
Ciao for now.

No comments: