Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Still running like crazy

"Bat Dog...na-na na-na na-na na-na.....Bat Dog!" (anyone remember the batman theme?)
.
Hey, I'm still here. I have been so busy these last couple of weeks; it's just crazy. I thought I'd have time to write at lunch-time, like usual, but it hasn't been working out that way.
.
Part of it is usual end-of year accounting stuff, part of it is "people" issues, part of it is family issues.
.
I'll start with my weight since it is so much on my mind right now. I stayed the same last week. And since I didn't really eat or exercise well enough to lose weight and I had "brownie issues" over the weekend, I can't really complain. I am only 2 pounds over my range, so It's not a huge deal. But I do have to deal with it now before it's 5 pounds and then 10 pounds and then 130 pounds. So I am going to do better this week. I promise. One pound a week is good with me and that's what I'm shooting for.
.
I'll go back to food now. Sunday night, I made the kids eat the rest of the brownies--no more of those nasty things in the house.
.
So Monday was good. I had lunch at a Thai place with a friend--nothing like a good spicy tofu curry. And then for dinner, I made VegNews' baked macaroni and cheese. It was so good. Who'd have thought that potatoes, onion, carrots, almonds (I subbed those for the cashews), mustard, salt, and paprika (I think that was all) would make such a cheesy tasting sauce. Even hubby ate it and liked it. (Daughter didn't like it because it wasn't Kraft but she ate 2 big servings of broccoli to make up for not eating the macaroni so I was totally good with it.) We will defiantly do that recipe again.
.
Yesterday, I had oatmeal for breakfast; broccoli and left over mac & cheese for lunch; and I did a pea and potato curry for dinner. I was rather surprised that hubby said he liked that one, too. Daughter picked out the potatoes and dipped them in ketchup. Son didn't eat much, but he had been home sick with a stomach ache (puking all night Monday night/Tuesday morning) so I didn't worry about him.
.
And speaking of oatmeal, I found a cool, quick way to make it. I like the steel-cut oats but then take too long to cook and I don't like cooking them over the stove. So here is what I did (three mornings in a row now, so it can't be too bad):
.
quick Steel-cut oats

1 part steel cut oats

4 parts liquid (I use 1 part soy milk and 3 parts water)

3 dates
.
put the above in the vitamix and blend. Pour into a microwave safe bowl and nuke for 90 seconds-stirring at 30 and 60 seconds. Stir and eat!
.
The texture is different--you don't have the distinguishable oats in it, but it sure tastes yummy and it's so easy.
.
Today, I had oatmeal for breakfast, and left-over curry for lunch. I'm not sure what snack and dinner will bring--probably fruit for a snack and I don't know what for dinner.
.
Also, last night, I was reading my book (Terry Goodkind-Chainfire. I love the Sword of Truth series!) and Zedd had stew and biscuits. I got a hankering for a good baking powder biscuit and it wouldn't go away! So I made up a batch and they were so good. I hadn't made them in so long that I had to look up how hot to cook them. (I've made them so often that I just do it by feel more than by recipe, actually.)
.
Biscuits

flour

coconut oil (always used Crisco before but changed to coconut cuz it's not hydrogenated--it's solid at room temperature naturally)

salt

turbinado

soy milk


Add flour (2 cups, maybe?), a pinch of salt, approximately 1 heaped tablespoon of baking powder and 1 tablespoon of sugar to a bowl, cut in enough coconut oil to make coarse crumbles--don't over mix. Add in soy milk slowly, stirring as you go just until it comes together as a dough--DON'T OVER MIX. Shape into biscuits with your hands and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for about 18-20 minutes.
.
These are crumbly so I usually put the fillings on top instead of trying to break it open and put fillings inside. They are so good with jelly. and good in soup. And if you like English scones, add more sugar with the flour and top by brushing with soy milk and putting sugar sprinkles on before baking. In fact, I have an "Eggnog Scone" recipe that is just about this except it has Cinnamon and eggnog--I need to make it with Cinnamon and soynog. Oh gosh. I want more biscuits!
.
The puppy has a new game--it's hilarious to watch! She gets a toy in her mouth and then bats a ball around with her paws. And she is a fetching fool. Right now, she's asleep--a good way to have her.
.
Well, I've got to go now. Back to work.
Ciao for now.

No comments: