Friday, May 1, 2009

Young Thai Coconut

UPDATE-- Katie told me how to do Links correctly (Thank you, thank you, thank you) so I fixed it!
.
Here is the link to CCV's blog. She had a challenge to try a new food. So I did.
.
So anyway, at the store, I bought a young Thai coconut. I had read so much about them and thought they would be wonderful. First of all, I unwrapped the plastic and then drilled two holes in the top with a screwdriver (one for the water to drain and one for the vent) and drained the water into a glass. I was amazed that it had like 12 ounces of water!
.
Then, hubby split it open with a cleaver--that is the picture below. (son had already downed about a third of the coconut water.

Then I scooped out the meat with a spoon.
I have to tell you, I'm not overly fond of either the coconut water of the soft meat. I much prefer the dried shredded coconut I'm used to and the canned coconut milk.

This morning, though, I put the left-over coconut meat in my green smoothie (banana, coconut, kale) and it was EXCELLENT that way. The coconut gave it just a subtle tropical flavor. Very good, but I won't go out of my way to buy a coconut just for a smoothie. Son didn't drink all of the coconut water so if he doesn't finish it this afternoon, I'll put that in my smoothie in the morning.
.
So that's my new food try for this week.
Ciao for now.


1 comment:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I'm not the biggest fan of the meat either, but I love the water :). It's high in electrolytes too!

Hmmm, if I rmemeber correctly, to link something in blogger, you highlight the words you want to link in your post. Then you click on one of the little images at the top (the image next to the one you'd click to add a picture). Then you paste the url in that space. I hope that's not too confusing. I'm really bad at giving directions, it seems!