Friday, February 27, 2009

"Meaty" pasta sauce

So for dinner last night, I made "pasta with meaty sauce". But the pasta wasn't pasta and the meat wasn't meat. Here's what I did.
.
Bake a spaghetti squash and the fork it into pasta.
.
The sauce was a little more complicated, but not overly so--here goes
.
Rehydrate 1 cup of TVP with 1 cup of veggie broth. Saute TVP, chopped onion, and chopped garlic in a little coconut oil. Throw in zucchini, red pepper, and broccoli chopped into small pieces and saute just a little longer. Add a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce. Add lots of Italian seasoning along with whatever fresh herbs you have (I had parsley). Salt and pepper to taste and scoop it over the spaghetti squash.
.
It was really good. The family paired it with a hamburger. I just had lots of "pasta" and a piece of Ezekiel bread.
.
This morning, daughter was sleeping on the couch (she gets up with her daddy and then crashes on the couch until it's really time for her to get up) and the pup crawled up on her and they were sleeping nose to nose. When I took this pic, the dog woke up so they aren't nose to nose here, but they were until I got the camera.

And just so he doesn't feel left out, here's the sleepy boy, too.If I do say so myself, my kids are pretty cute!

.

So I had to go get more Girl Scout Cookies today to fill the last order daughter got. And then I bought a few boxes so that she would be at her goal. Now she just has one shift at a cookie booth and then we are done with cookies for another year (I hope).

.

I really hate these fundraisers that sell crap food.

.

On a totally unrelated note, I tried shirataki noodles today. They are made out of "yam starch" and have very few calories. I was after kelp noodles in an Asian food market and ended up getting those by mistake. They look gross--like clear worms packaged in a bag of water. But I wanted to try them so I drained and rinsed them and mixed them with left over pasta sauce for lunch. The texture was weird and I couldn't quite get over the look of them. I don't think they tasted bad, in fact, they didn't have much taste at all. I won't buy them again, but at least I can say that I have tried them.

.

Well, I guess I'm off. Tonight is going to be a busy night: Son-violin lesson, Daughter-guitar lesson, dinner, Symphony concert. Then tomorrow we are going to Boise to a banquet hubby wants to attend and we'll spend the night there. So I probably won't get back on until Monday. You all have a great weekend!

.

Ciao for now.

No comments: