Monday, December 1, 2008

Weekend out of Town

I'm Back!

We spent the weekend in Salt Lake City. We did a little shopping, a lot of eating, and some visiting, but mostly it was just to get away.

Saturday, we ate lunch at Sage's Cafe. It's this little vegan cafe over by Trolley Square. It won a Veg News award in 06. I was really excited to go there--the first time I've ever been to an actual "vegan" restaurant. I had a raw Pad Thai--it was sooooooo good. The dressing on it was just wonderful. Hubby ordered coffee with cream to drink--I reminded him that they didn't have dairy so he said that soy was OK for creamer. For lunch he had a portabella stroganoff-type stuff which was really good, too (but I liked mine better). Daughter ordered milk and was upset when reminded that they didn't have dairy. She settled for soy chocolate milk--she complained that it still tasted like soy milk, but she drank it. Both kids had french toast which they devoured. The meal was a little pricier than I would normally do, but once in a while it would be fine.

I really wish they had something like that here...........

We also went to Smith & Edwards, which is like a surplus everything store. I have been looking for a spiral slicer ever since I saw it on a web video about making zucchini pasta. They had one there for 19.95. I grabbed it. Later, we were at a kitchen store in the Gateway mall and they had the identical one for 29.95. I was feeling pretty good.

We went to Ikea as well. I love that store! We actually got out of there for less than $10 this time. We usually find things we just have to have.

We also went swimming in the hotel pool. I love to swim, but it seems that the only time I ever go is when we are out of town.

Had lunch with my sister and her friend on Sunday at Thaifoon. that was good. Went to Bed Bath and Beyond (amazingly enough, I had never been to one before). And then we came home.

Anyway, it was a good weekend. Better for just having gotten away.

Today, for lunch, I used the spiral slicer to make zucchini pasta and just put plain old tomato sauce on it. It was great! (I also had a piece of wheat bread with almond butter.) The thing is a bit of a pain to clean, but not too awfully bad.

Well, I ought to go get back to work so I can get everything done before I go get kiddos from school. Cuz after that, hubby will be getting home and we are going to be going over to a friend's new shop so hubby can do the plumbing to the tub. Little Girl also has her last puppy class tonight and kids have piano. Whew! OK now, I will quit typing this time and get back to work.

Ciao for now.

No comments: