Monday, November 24, 2008

Whole Wheat Quick Bread


So last night, I realized that I only had half of a pita bread left; nothing at all in the way of vegan breads, otherwise. (We do have a loaf of store bought whole-wheat, but it has dairy.) So I decided that I needed to make some bread this morning.


Well, I got an early start--dropped the kids off at school and then was going to get the bread rising before starting work. I looked in the baking cupboard and (horror of horrors!) I only had enough yeast left for one batch of bread. Usually that wouldn't be a problem, but now it is because I didn't want to go to the store before Friday and I need that yeast to make bread for Thanksgiving.


So anyway, I decided to try a whole wheat quick bread. It went together super quick (thus the name "quick bread", right?) and tastes really good. (I just had a piece with vegan margarine and organic jelly.) This is a totally made-up recipe and it came out good, so here it is:


Whole Wheat Quick Bread


2 cups whole wheat flour

1/4 cup gluten

1 Tablespoon turbinado

1 teaspoon salt (actually, a bit less than that)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder (a bit heaped)

1 3/4 cup water

2 Tablespoons olive oil


With a fork, mix the dry ingredients. Stir in the oil and water. Pour into an oiled loaf pan. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean). Let cool for a few minutes and then run a knife around the edge of the pan and turn the bread out to cool on a rack.


How's that for easy? Now it does have the texture of a quick bread--no one's going to be fooled into thinking its a yeast bread, but it will definitely make for great toast or sandwiches.
(I'm kind of proud of myself.)
Ciao for now.

No comments: