Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dinner Frustration

I am sooooo frustrated right now. For dinner I fixed Mexican Butternut Squash (I got the recipe on msn.com). I have made this soup twice before to rave reviews--once as per the recipe and the second time with added potatoes and carrots. This time, it was as per the recipe with seitan (recipe from the Urban Vegan's blog) added. I decided to add some protein so it would be a complete meal with a piece of whole wheat bread.

Daughter ate 1 piece of Seitan, 2 bites of squash, and her bread. Son ate a few bites of veggies, the broth, and his bread. Hubby ate a few bites of veggies, his broth, and his bread. I am the only one who ate the soup! I thought it was really good.

Peeling and cubing a butternut squash ought to be an iron man event and yet I did it so my family would have a good healthy dinner and no one liked it. I get so frustrated that they won't do healthy! If it was just the kids, I would just chuck everything else in the house and they'd either eat or starve, but with a hubby that doesn't care about nutrition (or his extra weight or his diabetes or his high blood pressure) it makes it hard. I can't force him to eat right and he buys crap for the house. If he has it, he lets the kids have it, too.

I worry so much about my daughter. She's overweight I don't want her to go through what I went through as a fat kid. And I don't want her to have self-esteem issues caused by my constantly harping on her. So I'm trying to go low key by going healthy and active for the whole family. I've told hubby that's what I'm doing (as well as doing it for me); he acts like he's on board until it actually comes time to eat healthy or move. I don't know what to do.

My food today was:

1 cup of coffee w/ soy milk
Green Smoothie
Seitan & spinach sandwich on whole wheat
pumpkin soup
1 banana
butternut squash soup w/ Seitan
1 piece of whole wheat bread w/ vegan margarine

Later I'll have:
1 apple
sunflower seeds.

I think it was a pretty good day--all vegan.

Work went pretty well today, too. I've got quite a bit to do tomorrow, but that's often the case. I worry about work sometimes--with the economy and all. I don't really think my company is going anywhere, but we are having a few economic issues. And to be honest, I have a good job! I get to work from home; I'm available for my kids; I set my own hours as long as I get everything done in a timely manner; the boss is giving me more projects--it's perfect. Maybe that's why I worry--you know the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I've had this job for a year and a half. I don't think it's going anywhere, but I worry anyway.

Well, I'm off. Hubby should be home soon from taking son to scouts and daughter is practicing piano. Think I'll read for a few minutes.
Ciao for now.

No comments: