Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Last night's dinner and ramblings about my weight

There is a picture of last night's dinner--doesn't look to appetizing, but it was good. Fried eggplant and mushroom gravy over mashed potatoes. Here's what I did:
.
Eggplant:
slice an eggplant into rounds (I left the skin on). Dip each slice in a cornstarch-soy milk slurry and then dredge in flour. Fry in a little olive oil--a few minutes on each side.
.
Mashed potatoes:
Come on, you can figure that one out.
.
Mushroom Gravy:
saute sliced mushrooms in a little bit of vegan margarine until they are as done as you'd like them (do this in a sauce pan so you don't have to change pans). Add 3 cups (about) of vegetable broth and bring back to a boil. Mix 3 tablespoons (about) of cornstarch and 1 cup of water in a shaker jar. Slowly stir the cornstarch/water mixture into the boiling mushroom/broth mixture and stir until it comes back to a boil and then thickens.
.
Assembly:
Put the potatoes on a plate, put a couple of slices of eggplant on the potatoes, put gravy over the whole mess.
.
For breakfast today, I had crock pot oatmeal and put some date-almond-soy milk on it. For lunch I'll have a Almond butter and jelly sandwich on whole wheat and a piece of baked sweet potato (the only fresh veggie I have left in the house). For a snack, I'll probably do a pumpkin and strawberry smoothie since I have both of those in the freezer. And for dinner, I got out some sweet potato mash (frozen leftovers from Thanksgiving) and some green beans (frozen leftovers from summer) and then I'll warm up the leftover gravy (from last night) and the leftover bean loaf (from Monday). How's that for a leftover meal?
.
Weight
I know I shouldn't obsess over this but I do. I have lost 130 pounds and i don't want to blow it. I've lost the weight twice before in my life and both times it came back. But also, both times, I lost the weight for a specific purpose so of course when that purpose was fulfilled, I quit being vigilant and went back to my old habits. Of course the weight came back. The first time, I lost the weight for high school--I got out of high school and gained. The second time, I lost the weight because we were having trouble getting pregnant--I got pregnant and gained.
.
This time I lost the weight for more permanent reasons--my health, my life, my children. I have to be vigilant! Admittedly, it's a lot easier to maintain when I eat vegan (although I have found I can make some pretty naughty vegan treats) and put an emphasis on "healthy".
.
As of last Wednesday (12-31-08) I had gained 6.5 pounds over the holiday season. As of this morning, I am only up 2 pounds from the top of my range. (I know I didn't lose 4.5 pounds in one week--I didn't eat that sparingly and I didn't exercise that much--so I'm guessing I was retaining water, too.) Only 2 more pounds to get back to my range.
.
By the way, I decided on my "range" because I know how wildly my weight fluctuates from day to day--a range is easier to watch than a set number. I think I'd really obsess over a set number because I would be off from it more often than I'd be on. My range is actually a little below my goal weight, but I've found it pretty easy to maintain (thus far, anyway) within that range. My BMI is withing "normal" but a little bit above "optimal". I feel good when I'm in that range and like I said, it's pretty easy to maintain there, so that's where I want to stay.
.
We watched "biggest loser" last night. I am so glad I'm not there anymore. I don't want to ever go back there again.
.
Well, I really need to get back to work now,
Ciao for now

No comments: