Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sloppy Joes on Biscuits

If last night's post seemed a little stilted, that's because it was. Sorry. Hubby came and started looking over my shoulder (I hate that) so I quit typing, minimized the screen and asked him not to. He got hot and asked what I was typing that he couldn't read. I told him that I was fine with him reading it, but my blog is kind of like my journal and I wouldn't want him to read my journal--or at least not read it over my shoulder.
.
He harrumphed off. So I kept typing. I don't think he'd care about anything I typed, and,even if he did, I don't think he could find my blog to read it even if I put a shortcut to it on my desktop. So anyway, I'm blogging at lunch time today instead of with him around to avoid any of that.
Above is a pic of half a multi-grain biscuit (I had already eaten the other half when I decided to take the pic) and my sloppy joe stuff from last night. The Recipes follow:
.
Multi-grain biscuits
1/2 cup flour
1 TBSP Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup wheat
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup brown rice
2 TBSP flax seeds
coconut oil (1/2 cup-approx)
soy milk (1 1/4 cup approx)
.
Put the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl. put all of the grains in the vita-mix and blend until they are flour. Put that in the bowl, add the flax seeds and stir. Cut in the coconut oil until the mixture is crumbly. Add enough soy milk to make a sticky dough (don't over mix--just with a fork until it comes together). Drop by spoon fulls onto a baking stone and cook at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. (sorry for the imprecise measurements, I make my biscuits more by feel than by measurements.)
.
TVP Sloppy Joes
1 Cup TVP granules
1 Cup water
1 tsp Better than Bullion-Veggie
1 can store brand sloppy joe sauce
.
This is so easy--bring the water and bullion to a boil and take off of the heat. Stir in the TVP and let it set for a few minutes to absorb the liquid. Stir in the sauce and put back on the stove on low until it is as warm as you'd like it. (Be sure to check the ingredients of the Sloppy Joe sauce because I'm not sure they all are vegan.)
.
The rest of the family wanted to save their biscuits for jelly so had their sloppy joes on bread. I had mine on a biscuit. Even hubby liked the sloppy joes! (Of course he said he likes them better with hamburger, but I expected that--he likes everything better when it can gum up his arteries.)
.
So, what's going on in my life? Not a whole lot. Just work and ferry the kids to an fro. We have a school thing called "strut your stuff" tonight. Next week is Spring Break and we are going to take a 5-day vacation to the Grand Canyon. And that's about all.
.
Daughter decided she was big enough for a bra this weekend. So we took her and got her one (she already had some sports bras, but she thought she was big enough for a real "cup-size" bra). She is now the proud owner of a striped "A" cup bra. It's a front hook because she couldn't seem to figure out the back hook in the dressing room. I keep having to remind her she can't be snapping and unsnapping her bra in public. Oh well, she will get it figured out. I just hope we're still a long way from the next monument of growing up female.
.
Well, I guess I had better go now.
Ciao for now.

1 comment:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh gosh, thanks for letting me know! You were one of the firsts to make a recipe (if not the first), so I guess that was before I started compiling my list! But I'm going back to change my post right now!

P.S. I love your idea of sloppy joes and quinoa. Sloppy joe oatmeal, anyone? Haha maybe not...